Lucy Pinder Photo Gallery Lucy Pinder Videos Index Lucy Pinder Television Website on Facebook LucyPinderNews and LPinderOfficial twitter feeds
Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index Facebook button Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum
Lucy Pinder - Pictures, News, Videos - The One-Stop Shop

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister (Problems? See here)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Twitter button Lucy Pinder Videos Index

Spammer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index -> Site News and Queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L1quid

Contributions: 37

SpammerPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:41 pm    Subject: Spammer Reply with quote

Can some1 please ban this Spammer (beiscoubs), posting unnecessary topics like some lil kid, so we can all go back to focusing on lucy Smile
RockyMoney

Contributions: 2276

SpammerPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:34 pm    Subject: Spammer Reply with quote

Yeah i agree, that guy get lost.
Pigeon
Site Admin

Contributions: 6645

SpammerPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:39 pm    Subject: Spammer Reply with quote

These things are not people, they are spambots - peoples' computers which have caught viruses that allow other people to program them to spam forums. We get attacked by hundreds of them but most of them are automatically blocked. Occasionally one gets through and it's just Sod's Law that a particularly prolific one got through while I wasn't around. Has all now been deleted.

Nuke
Chris

Contributions: 726

SpammerPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:55 am    Subject: Spammer Reply with quote

Thanks, Pigeon. This has happened multiple times at the other LP.tv site.
Pigeon
Site Admin

Contributions: 6645

SpammerPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:01 am    Subject: Spammer Reply with quote

Was it not the case that you had to close the doors because of that? They are a pain on every forum... it would help a lot to block all IPs from Russia and China, but I can't do that due to the amount of genuine readers, especially from China, that it would block. Similarly I could turn on admin activation of accounts, but that also would be a pain for genuine new users.

We do have several lines of defence though Smile there is a CAPTCHA set as hard as feedback seems to indicate I can make it before it gets too hard for human users, and a limit of 5 attempts to solve it. Most of the spambots fail to solve it, but try to log in anyway, fail, and then find another protection mechanism kicks in and they are blocked completely from the whole site to stop them trying again.

Those who do get through don't always post; I check all new users to see if they are human or not and those who are not get zapped before they can do any damage. There are more who don't post than do and many of them don't even bother to put spam links in their profiles - I can only assume that most spambots out there don't actually work properly. If they do post I have a tool that zaps all the posts at the same time as deleting the user.

It doesn't usually take very long before I find them - some I have even deleted before they had a chance to log in. As I say it's just Sod's Law that the most prolific one we've had yet happened to turn up when I wasn't around to delete it.

I have now raised the minimum interval between successive posts to 60 seconds to try and frustrate such flood-posting, and I have also added an anti-spam question to the registration page as well as the CAPTCHA as another obstacle... so now they will need to know what colour Lucy's eyes are Smile

We are definitely not going to close the doors because of them though, however bad they get. This forum is committed to remaining open Smile I run a much bigger open forum than this (not Lucy-related) and we can keep them under control there, so we can here too Smile
pogo

Contributions: 361

SpammerPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 pm    Subject: Spammer Reply with quote

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
patriot

Contributions: 739

SpammerPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:58 pm    Subject: Spammer Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Thanks, Pigeon. This has happened multiple times at the other LP.tv site.

Pigeon wrote:
Was it not the case that you had to close the doors because of that?

The site is still running although very quite these days, it got so bad that all new members had to be by invite or requested directly to admin.

Pigeon wrote:
These things are not people, they are spambots - peoples' computers which have caught viruses that allow other people to program them to spam forums. We get attacked by hundreds of them but most of them are automatically blocked. Occasionally one gets through and it's just Sod's Law that a particularly prolific one got through while I wasn't around. Has all now been deleted.

Nuke

Thats why you need a mod Wink

pogo wrote:
Pigeon wrote:
I have also added an anti-spam question to the registration page as well as the CAPTCHA as another obstacle... so now they will need to know what colour Lucy's eyes are Smile

like your thinking there pigeon! Thumb Up!

Thumb Up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index -> Site News and Queries All times are GMT

Jump to: