Lucy Pinder Photo Gallery Lucy Pinder Videos Index Lucy Pinder Television Website on Facebook LucyPinderNews and LPinderOfficial twitter feeds
Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index Facebook button Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum
Lucy Pinder - Pictures, News, Videos - The One-Stop Shop

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister (Problems? See here)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Twitter button Lucy Pinder Videos Index

Photoshop: Just Say No
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pigeon
Site Admin

Contributions: 6645

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:05 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

This is a subject that I think most of us on here have moaned about at one time or another Smile

These two pics were posted on another forum... a "before and after" pair.

Apparently on the original site that the other forum took them from, they were posted by the original photoshopper as an example of "look how much you can improve a portrait with photoshop".

Improve??? I don't call a plastic Barbie doll with dead eyes an improvement... and the first reply was someone saying that the "after" pic makes her look like a vampire.

All the life and vivacity has gone from the second pic... the original looks like a live woman, the photoshopped version reminds me of that old Doctor Who story which featured a robot version of Sarah Jane Smith.

One of the most annoying and frustrating things I have ever seen on TV in a Lucy context was the bit on the first episode of "Make Me A Glamour Model" where Jens says something like "what people don't realise is this is all fake, it's all photoshopped"... No, mate, we do realise and we don't like it. Jens was a photoshopper before he was a photographer... and it is a shame because it does spoil his pics... they are basically good pics, but the photoshopping on them is way over the top. This pic of Lucy is a fine example - she looks lovely as always, but the picture would be hugely better if it wasn't so messed about with.

And then we come to our friends on the Star who do the most incomprehensibly weird things to Lucy's eyes - make them grey or blue or orange, or even green and purple, or sometimes they completely blank out her pupils and make her eyes brown all over like an old dog. Not to mention photoshopping her boobs to make them look smaller... just wtf is that all about?

Photoshop is like a drug - its users persist in thinking it's the best thing since sliced bread despite all the evidence to the contrary, and they get addicted to it, photoshop absolutely everything for no reason and spoil things all the time.

Just Say No, chaps.
Dib

Contributions: 276

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:09 am    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

You're rigth in both things:

1.- The girl looks live a vampire.
2.- The Photoshop is like a drug: you never know when to say it's too much and then you cannot stop.

I don't think it's an improvement, but a downgrade (if you know what I mean).
jgclark

Contributions: 21

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:37 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

I'm a fan of Photoshop for all the right reasons- correcting small blemishes, perhaps fixing tones and lighting problems, but it seems that the blokes who wind up turning real women into barbie dolls or worse just have no sense of restraint, and worse, make men start to worship an ideal that just isn't attainable in real life. It's true that not all women are as naturally beautiful as Lucy and do need some help by the photographers and stylists and artists to help them compete, but at the end of the day, you're still the same person in the mirror.
Raloc

Contributions: 9

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:49 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

For all photoshop fans (kidding Wink) :

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com

And the best living example of what NOT to do with toshop : Glenn Feron.

http://glennferon.com/portfolio1/index.html

Unfortunately, he removed lots of his "best" work after the photoshopdisasters post Sad

Here under is an example.

If you're young , or emotive... don't scroll. And if you're not, be ready to turn off your internet browser, your internet connection, your computer, and just run away Big Laugh

Ready ?

Here we go :

OK... Now stop crying. I warned you Big Grin
Pigeon
Site Admin

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:36 am    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

Aieeeee..... Yikes!

Hehe

...It is an interesting coincidence that you should revive this thread on the same day that I discover a prime before-and-after example of our very own Lucy... one which not only backs up a point I made above, but which also backs up the "Lucy is right" side of the "Lucy's weight debate", which although we have apparently put it to bed here still seems to be rumbling on in certain corners of the internet where I can't put people straight Smile

The worthy pinderfan's Lucy yahoo group already has a good selection of pictures on it Big Smile and among them is this one:

Although this was watermarked, it appears to be more or less unphotoshopped (apart from me taking the watermark off) - you can still see Lucy's bra strap mark as evidence.

There is also a "more distributed" version which has been heavily photoshopped, which I show here in the same size:

And to further aid comparison here is an animation alternating the two:

]

Oh dear. He has given Lucy:

- Big chunky legs
- Chunkier arms
- Smaller boobs
- Sticky-out rib cage
- Chunky and odd-shaped body
- Quasimodo's left shoulder
- Plastic skin texture
- unrealistic shading

...just why??? Weep

Jens has been working with Lucy for several years now - this is a pretty old pic. And a pretty typical one. It is pretty clear that for several years at least one major source has been supplying us with pics of Lucy that make her look like she carries a heck of a lot more meat than she does in reality.

It is true that Lucy lost weight last year (which forget ye not she has now regained). But it is also true that she also started doing quite a few shoots with the genius Zoe McConnell, who as well as being a much better photographer than Jens, is also intelligent enough not to edit the pictures to make Lucy look chunky.

It has been commented that Lucy's 2010 calendar was shot during her "too skinny phase". It wasn't. It seems that there are some people who are looking at Lucy's recent pics and waiting for her to put weight back on which she never had. Wakey wakey, chaps... what you are really waiting to see is a silly man editing fake weight into Lucy's pics. Look at the candids, look at the videos... Lucy is back to normal: she never did look like what the silly man made you think she looked like. She is now being photographed by someone who properly knows what they're doing and does not edit in fake weight... we are seeing photos that are much more accurate representations of Lucy, and that is one of the reasons why they are so flipping good Big Grin
Dib

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:48 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

Raloc wrote:

OK... Now stop crying. I warned you Big Grin

Wow... I generally don't like PS, but I would love to be as good as the guy who edited that pic.
Pigeon
Site Admin

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:13 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

Just practise... find some pics of Lucy with captions/watermarks on and clean them up, or something Smile that pic is quite an easy edit. Even if you don't chop her hand off Smile
Raloc

Contributions: 9

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:24 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

Dib wrote:
Wow... I generally don't like PS, but I would love to be as good as the guy who edited that pic.

Well... that guy isn't good at all. Yes, he knows the options of photoshop, but spend time on this app and you will too.

But he really don't know how human body looks like. For example, look at her face. On the real picture, you can see the "front" of her face and the "side"*. On the Ferron's version, you have a face magma. Her left eye seems to be in the middle of her face. That's just wrong.

Knowing how to use a tool is easy. If someone learn you, it could take more or less time, but at the end you will figure it out. But using the tool right and wisely, that's the difficult part.

In my opinion, good retouching is just to correct a photo that you could have done better with your camera. I mean brightness, contrast, saturation, those sorts of things that could have been right if you had use the good "options" of your camera.

Retouching the body is wrong. On this forum I prefer to see Lucy than her sister "Digital-Retouched-Lucy".

* I bet you guessed english isn't my mother tongue, so sorry here I coudn't find the right terms. I hope you would still understand what I mean Smile)
Pigeon
Site Admin

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:16 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

Raloc wrote:
Dib wrote:

Well... that guy isn't good at all. Yes, he knows the options of photoshop, but spend time on this app and you will too.

But he really don't know how human body looks like. For example, look at her face. On the real picture, you can see the "front" of her face and the "side"*. On the Ferron's version, you have a face magma. Her left eye seems to be in the middle of her face. That's just wrong.

Very interesting that you have said that. I can see the effect you are talking about and it is a common photoshop problem - the "smoothing" removes some of the visual cues to three-dimensionality and makes the front and the side of her face appear to be in the same plane instead of two intersecting planes.

However I don't think I notice that particular effect as much as other people do. I don't see 3D the same way as most people do because I only have one working eye due to a birth defect. Now this certainly doesn't "make everything look flat" as people with two eyes expect it to. They insist on telling you in school that 3D vision is entirely down to having two eyes, but it isn't true. There are something like three or five depth cues associated with binocular vision, but there are fourteen associated with monocular vision. Even people with two eyes are using the monocular cues at distances beyond a few metres because the differential angular resolution of the visual system is insufficient to make the binocular ones work that far away. I just use the monocular ones for everything, and they work pretty well... I do have good 3D vision, for example I can catch things and aim things just as well as two-eyed people if I want to, I just achieve it in a different way.

Most people, I think, see photographs as a bit flat and unrealistic because the binocular cues are missing. I don't. I get a single-image view of everything, so a photograph is not much different from a real scene. To me a photo looks nearly as 3D as an actual object if I don't move too much in relation to it - indeed my brain actually synthesises parallax to some extent, and it is interesting to observe that when I look at a high-quality hologram, in a museum of optics or something, in the company of a two-eyed person, I have to look at it from much more extreme angles than the two-eyed person does before it looks impressively different from a normal photograph.

It is no disadvantage having only one eye, and in a world in which photography exists it is positively an advantage. I'm actually glad I don't have two working eyes Smile (It also means I am allowed to take the p out of Gordon Brown for being a one-eyed... so-and-so because I'm a one-eyed so-and-so myself Big Laugh)

Anyway where this relates to the above photoshop job is that because I place different emphasis on monocular depth cues to a two-eyed person I don't perceive the "flat face" effect so much. There are other cues to the three-dimensional shape which haven't been photoshopped out, which I think I pick up on more than two-eyed people do and so it doesn't look as flat to me as it does to others.

Where I do notice a "flat" effect is in areas of a picture that don't have much by way of other cues. An example is Lucy's arm in the Jens pic above; it looks to me as if she is pressing her arm against a sheet of glass in the photoshopped version.

And where this class of photoshop failure particularly relates to this forum is in the "Lucy's boob size debate". A lot of that rumour originates in the Star's dodgy photoshopping making Lucy's boobs look flat. It's less obvious to me because I'm still picking up on other cues that make Lucy's boobs still look round, but for people who are taking the usual two-eyed approach to the depth cues in a photo it is I think a lot more significant.

It has become more significant since Lucy has been doing fully topless shots. When she is wearing a bra or bikini top there is rather less scope for photoshopping out the shape cues, and when she is doing "hand bra" or other such "concealing" poses there are plenty of other cues provided to the true shape of her boobs by her hands and arms or whatever else she is concealing her boobs with. Fully topless shots don't provide so many cues to begin with and are much more vulnerable to having those cues damaged by photoshopping.

If the Star will remain too dense to see that their photoshopping is a bad thing - which is likely - perhaps it is possible to improve matters by altering the nature of the material they have to work with. A lot of Jeany Savage's pics are pretty "front-on" with Lucy's body more or less facing the camera, and these are the ones that are most affected. If Lucy could work with her to produce more "sideways"-style pics then there is much more scope to produce pics in which the silly photoshopping does not make her boobs look flat and small.

Raloc wrote:
In my opinion, good retouching is just to correct a photo that you could have done better with your camera. I mean brightness, contrast, saturation, those sorts of things that could have been right if you had use the good "options" of your camera.

I agree - it does have its place, but that place is much more limited than people like Jens and the Star and Ferron take it to be. I will use it to adjust errors in composition and framing, or to correct for having got the exposure slightly wrong, or to clean up the backgrounds, for example a pic of a car at a car show where there are too many people hanging about to be able to get a clean shot. I won't use it to make any alterations to the actual subject of the photo (unless it's a pic for a technical discussion where certain features need to be emphasised to make a technical point).

(Though mainly what I find myself doing is taking the captions and overprinting etc. off published Lucy pics Smile)

Raloc wrote:
Retouching the body is wrong. On this forum I prefer to see Lucy than her sister "Digital-Retouched-Lucy".

As do I Smile unfortunately while I can usually manage to remove overprinting without too much of a problem, returning the pictures to a completely pre-edited state is beyond me Wry I'd only make matters worse if I tried to do that...

Raloc wrote:
* I bet you guessed english isn't my mother tongue, so sorry here I coudn't find the right terms. I hope you would still understand what I mean Smile)

I wouldn't worry about it, your English is jolly good... you are one of the many foreign forum posters who put a lot of native English speakers to shame Smile Our education system is in such a mess that it can't even teach people to write properly any more, and the government would do well to take a look at forums in general and take note that a lot of the people who have learned English as a second language in foreign schools post in a much more literate and understandable style than a lot of British-educated native English speakers do...
Dib

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:05 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

I didn't know you have just one working eye.
And yet, you can notice all the tiny little details in the pics... I can't notice them and I have my two eyes working. Wry

I didn't even notice the flatness in Lucy's boobs until you mentioned it.

I just realize when they edit her pretty eyes.

About the english... well in México we have the same problem. Many of the population can't write spanish correctly because of the " ´ ". And that little accent can make a lot of difference in a sentence... for example:

La pérdida de la secretaría (can be translated as The loss of certain quantity of money from the goverment department).
La perdida de la secretaria (can be translated as "the secretary is a whore).
Pigeon
Site Admin

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:20 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

Dib wrote:
I didn't know you have just one working eye.

Ah... you have never met me, and yet people who have known me for years often don't know about it. It always surprises me how long it takes people to notice, because the deformed eye was incredibly conspicuous when I was little and in my mind it still is... but now I find that people don't even notice that I don't have a lens in my specs on that side unless they see me picking the specs up by putting my finger through the hole, and even then they don't notice the reason why they're like that. (The specs are because the working eye is sufficiently short-sighted that I need specs to drive.)

Dib wrote:
And yet, you can notice all the tiny little details in the pics... I can't notice them and I have my two eyes working. Wry

I didn't even notice the flatness in Lucy's boobs until you mentioned it.

I just realize when they edit her pretty eyes.

I am fairly convinced that there are significant differences between the way different peoples' vision works over and above those obvious imperfections which are correctable by specs. My working eye has extremely good close-up detail vision; for example I can read the markings on minute surface-mount components without a magnifying glass better than many people can read them with one. On the other hand my colour and shade perception doesn't seem to play by the normal rules; I can see the green colour cast that skin takes on under vegetation that most people don't notice until they take a photo of someone and it comes out looking like an alien, but I find it incredibly hard to set the cathode bias on a colour CRT and I also find it incredibly hard to... yes, put Lucy's lovely eyes back to normal after the Star have made them a weird colour. Whereas other people for example may not be able to deal with surface-mount at all but immediately notice that the TV picture isn't quite the right colour.

Dib wrote:
About the english... well in México we have the same problem. Many of the population can't write spanish correctly because of the " ´ ". And that little accent can make a lot of difference in a sentence... for example:

La pérdida de la secretaría (can be translated as The loss of certain quantity of money from the goverment department).
La perdida de la secretaria (can be translated as "the secretary is a whore).

Ah, that reminds me of a German lesson Smile The passage was something semi-comic about a clumsy lad shooting at a target and missing; it said "er schiesst vorbei" ("he shoots and misses", or literally "he shoots past")... Someone read that out as "er scheisst vorbei", which means something completely different Hehe
pogo

Contributions: 361

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:45 pm    Subject: photoshop Reply with quote

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Pigeon
Site Admin

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:59 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

Argh Yikes! Lucy's so-lovely brown eyes... Brown is definitely my favourite eye colour and Lucy's eyes are absolutely Cloud 9
qwertiebertie

Contributions: 239

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:31 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Aieeeee..... Yikes!

Hehe

...It is an interesting coincidence that you should revive this thread on the same day that I discover a prime before-and-after example of our very own Lucy... one which not only backs up a point I made above, but which also backs up the "Lucy is right" side of the "Lucy's weight debate", which although we have apparently put it to bed here still seems to be rumbling on in certain corners of the internet where I can't put people straight Smile

The worthy pinderfan's Lucy yahoo group already has a good selection of pictures on it Big Smile and among them is this one:

Although this was watermarked, it appears to be more or less unphotoshopped (apart from me taking the watermark off) - you can still see Lucy's bra strap mark as evidence.

There is also a "more distributed" version which has been heavily photoshopped, which I show here in the same size:

And to further aid comparison here is an animation alternating the two:

]

Oh dear. He has given Lucy:

- Big chunky legs
- Chunkier arms
- Smaller boobs
- Sticky-out rib cage
- Chunky and odd-shaped body
- Quasimodo's left shoulder
- Plastic skin texture
- unrealistic shading

...just why??? Weep

Jens has been working with Lucy for several years now - this is a pretty old pic. And a pretty typical one. It is pretty clear that for several years at least one major source has been supplying us with pics of Lucy that make her look like she carries a heck of a lot more meat than she does in reality.

It is true that Lucy lost weight last year (which forget ye not she has now regained). But it is also true that she also started doing quite a few shoots with the genius Zoe McConnell, who as well as being a much better photographer than Jens, is also intelligent enough not to edit the pictures to make Lucy look chunky.

It has been commented that Lucy's 2010 calendar was shot during her "too skinny phase". It wasn't. It seems that there are some people who are looking at Lucy's recent pics and waiting for her to put weight back on which she never had. Wakey wakey, chaps... what you are really waiting to see is a silly man editing fake weight into Lucy's pics. Look at the candids, look at the videos... Lucy is back to normal: she never did look like what the silly man made you think she looked like. She is now being photographed by someone who properly knows what they're doing and does not edit in fake weight... we are seeing photos that are much more accurate representations of Lucy, and that is one of the reasons why they are so flipping good Big Grin

so if its un-photoshopped lucy really did have her knickers around her shoes, i wonder if she fell over when she stood up lol
pogo

Contributions: 361

Photoshop: Just Say NoPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 pm    Subject: Photoshop: Just Say No Reply with quote

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: