Lucy Pinder Photo Gallery Lucy Pinder Videos Index Lucy Pinder Television Website on Facebook LucyPinderNews and LPinderOfficial twitter feeds
Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index Facebook button Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum
Lucy Pinder - Pictures, News, Videos - The One-Stop Shop

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister (Problems? See here)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Twitter button Lucy Pinder Videos Index

Need help with adjusting audio offset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockyMoney

Contributions: 2276

Need help with adjusting audio offsetPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:00 am    Subject: Need help with adjusting audio offset Reply with quote

Most of the recorded TV i download has a slight audio offset. Ive noticed HD recorded doesnt have that problem. im using Tiger player ATM and it does have an adjustable audio offset feature but its not accurate enough, can anyone help? The offset is somewhere between half and a quarter second but TP only allows you to adjust half a second + or -, but is easily noticed. Thanks
Pigeon
Site Admin

Contributions: 6640

Need help with adjusting audio offsetPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:21 am    Subject: Need help with adjusting audio offset Reply with quote

I use avidemux which allows you to adjust the audio offset in millisecond increments.

Be warned though. This is major headache territory Headache

Once you get below a quarter of a second or so of offset you begin to run into the limitations of the brain's ability to process sensory delays. You can still tell that there is an offset between the audio and the video... but working out which direction it's in and how large it is, that's another matter entirely. You don't know whether to tweak it forwards or backwards or by how much and when you try one or the other it's incredibly hard to tell if it's made it better or worse. It's a massive pain... it's giving me a headache just thinking about it Headache

From experience I generally take -84ms as a starting point... but it may very well be different for your computer, codec set, and capture device.

(As a matter of interest the brain's difficulty in handling delays of a few hundred ms or less is a major part of the reason why using a mobile phone when driving is a lot more dangerous than using analogue comms devices, whether or not you use it with a "hands-free" kit. The GSM coding system introduces delays of this order into the speech signal, so your feedback from the person at the other end is not quite where your brain expects it to be and the subconscious cues of conversation become much harder to process. The result is you end up concentrating on the mobile phone a lot harder than you do on a fixed analogue phone, and devote too much of your brain's resources away from driving and onto the conversation without realising you're doing it.)
RockyMoney

Need help with adjusting audio offsetPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:42 am    Subject: Need help with adjusting audio offset Reply with quote

Does it work on Vista? When i dl this program will i only have to adjust the audio offset once per file then i can play it in Tiger Player no prob?
Pigeon
Site Admin

Need help with adjusting audio offsetPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:03 am    Subject: Need help with adjusting audio offset Reply with quote

Far as I know it does work in Vista. It's free, anyway, so you've lost nothing if you find it doesn't Smile

You adjust the offset, then save the result, and the saved version will then be playable properly. Only thing to watch out for is to use "Save -> Save Video" to save it, not "Save Project".
RockyMoney

Need help with adjusting audio offsetPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:05 am    Subject: Need help with adjusting audio offset Reply with quote

Any chance of a direct link to download the program? Cheers
Pigeon
Site Admin

Need help with adjusting audio offsetPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:10 am    Subject: Need help with adjusting audio offset Reply with quote

http://prdownload.berlios.de/avidemux/avidemux_2.5.2_win32.exe
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/avidemux/avidemux_2.5.2_win32.exe
RockyMoney

Need help with adjusting audio offsetPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:11 am    Subject: Need help with adjusting audio offset Reply with quote

Nice 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT

Jump to: