Lucy Pinder Photo Gallery Lucy Pinder Videos Index Lucy Pinder Television Website on Facebook LucyPinderNews and LPinderOfficial twitter feeds
Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index Facebook button Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum
Lucy Pinder - Pictures, News, Videos - The One-Stop Shop

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister (Problems? See here)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Twitter button Lucy Pinder Videos Index

Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index -> Lucy Pinder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pigeon
Site Admin

Contributions: 6645

Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazinePosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:58 pm    Subject: Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazine Reply with quote

Following on from yesterday's post about this article and there being more to come...

eazy_g wrote:
That's nothing new here in America. They always find an excuse to complain about everything when they aren't happy. The Huffington Post is known for stuff like that, they will make a big deal out of anything, then turn around and act like they didn't. I hate journalism in this country.

I don't think journalism in this country is much better... it doesn't miss much to say that our newspapers are all either looney right, looney left, looney capitalist or just plain looney, and TV news is dominated by the BBC's pro-government agenda... Point is that of all the things that they could be making a fuss about, Page 3 is right down the bottom of any rational list of priorities. As Lucy points out Big Smile

Pigeon wrote:
Apparently also there is more to come from Lucy herself - "Look" magazine will be publishing a debate between Lucy Pinder and one of the leading nutters (who also happens to be called Lucy). Given that "our" Lucy has shown in the past how good she is at telling these idiots where to get off it ought to be worth reading Big Smile

...This is now here Smile

Bit of a disappointment, in that it's not a "debate", just a short comment from either side... Still, it's quite clear what side the magazine itself is on, with it having several pics of people wearing anti-page-3 T-shirts, a website link for buying the things, and the cheek to describe Lucy as an "ex" model, the dirty swine Mad And it's also quite clear that what little they have given Lucy space to say is logical material based on rational premises Thumb Up! whereas Lucy Holmes's argument is based on irrational emotive premises and on muddling up cause and effect. If they had actually published a "debate" Lucy Pinder would have thoroughly demolished Lucy Holmes Big Grin - even in this short piece she's picked up on the cause-and-effect-muddling and corrected it Clap

Would be most interesting to see the whole of what Lucy wrote before the magazine editors got hold of it...

Lucy wrote:
I could understand the argument against Page 3 if every household in the UK got the Sun delivered to their door without choice, but at the end of the day, if you're offended by it, don't buy the Sun.

Even though I had a place at university to study English, I chose to do Page 3 instead and it has given me more work opportunities than I could have dreamt of.

A soldier out in Afghanistan might like seeing a little picture of a pretty girl to brighten up his day.

I don't think Page 3 reduces girls to objects - as human beings we're sexually attracted to each other and if we weren't, there'd be a problem.

If the Sun stop running Page 3, people's careers would be put on the line. Not just the models, but the photographers and the people who edit the pictures. Why would you get rid of a vocation when unemployment is high and these women are making money for themselves?

Page 3 girls are just an easy target. There are more important things to get wound up about than boobs.

I don't agree unreservedly - the "people who edit the pictures" should be losing their jobs in any case, because as so many people have pointed out on here so many times, the pictures are better without them! But unlike the campaigner's piece, what Lucy has written is rational and logic-based - Lucy Pinder does have an argument, Lucy Holmes doesn't Big Smile

The bits I've put in bold are especially good points Smile

Page 3 is indeed not the cause of "reducing girls to objects". It's the effect. The cause is human biological programming. There have been equivalents to Page 3 for the entirety of human existence - like these things - some of which are far more objectifying ("headless, footless, armless but with a strongly incised vaginal opening"). These are not things that shape human nature, they are things that are shaped by human nature.

And there are a whole raft of things wrong with this country at the moment which cause genuine, quantifiable harm - eg. screwing up the NHS, and disability benefit cuts - and are far more worthwhile campaign targets than pointless ideologically-driven trivia which cause no harm except that imagined by people who don't know the difference between cause and effect.

Once again... Lucy rocks Big Grin

Last edited by Pigeon on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
RockyMoney

Contributions: 2276

Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazinePosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:46 pm    Subject: Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazine Reply with quote

Lucy couldn't have put it any better. The argument for Page 3 to be banned has been brought into the press consistently every few years either by journalists or MP's.

The campaigners against it always seem to be raised by a middle aged (Or above) unattractive woman with an old fashioned keyhole view on things like this. In my opinion Page 3 is a part of British life. It shouldn't be banned and I'm completely confident that it will never be banned.

Thumb Up! To Lucy for defending a British institution Big Smile
WD84

Contributions: 18

Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazinePosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 pm    Subject: Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazine Reply with quote

I always find it ironic that some of the same people, who champion womenís rights and the right of all women to choose how to live their lives, are more than happy to deny that same right when they disagree with the choice that is made. You canít pick and choose what to allow, all choices must be acceptable whether you agree with them or not.

Also itís worth noting that Tom Daleyís half naked chiselled body is currently being splashed across all the ladies magazines. Do I detect the rumblings of men everywhere screaming objectification? Nope, there are more important things in life than to worry about a few ladies ogling over Tom Daleyís pecs.
Pigeon
Site Admin

Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazinePosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:18 pm    Subject: Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazine Reply with quote

WD84 wrote:
I always find it ironic that some of the same people, who champion womenís rights and the right of all women to choose how to live their lives, are more than happy to deny that same right when they disagree with the choice that is made. You canít pick and choose what to allow, all choices must be acceptable whether you agree with them or not.

"Anything at variance with the personal sexual proclivities of the speaker should be banned" is an aspect of human nature which pops up all over the place in all sorts of disguises. Few years ago I happened across a blog by some of the more extreme anti-page-3/lads-mag campaigners moaning about some event Nuts did involving Lucy. Several of them were saying nightclubs should be closed down because women went there wanting sex with men Screwy
eazy_g

Contributions: 416

Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazinePosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:24 pm    Subject: Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazine Reply with quote

If you don't like the magazines why do you look at it?

It's just like music, I'll agree we have a lot of crappy things out there, but why even bother if you don't like it?

The more they focus on negativity and making a fuss out of something as ridiculous as this is the more misreable their lives are going to be. She's mad at Page 3, why does she focus on it then? I don't see where Lucy was FORCED to do this, nor is she complaining about it, focus on happier things!
EVISU

Contributions: 383

Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazinePosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 am    Subject: Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazine Reply with quote

wonders when man action group gonna start up complaining about toned men in women mags and saying theyre sexual objects. Big Laugh
Dice

Contributions: 123

Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazinePosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:27 pm    Subject: Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazine Reply with quote

That's the typical way it goes, woman looks at man in speedos, "ooh he's nice wouldnt mind..." you get the idea. Man looks at woman in a bikini, "she's a stunner/fit/whatever" and they're instantly pervs. I tend to choose to ignore the pointless arguement.

Think the main point is: if you dont like it dont buy it.

Anyway, personally, Page 3 has nothing to do with why I would never buy The Sun.
Pigeon
Site Admin

Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazinePosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:46 pm    Subject: Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazine Reply with quote

The "not in a family newspaper" thing is also a spurious argument... chucking the word "family" in to elicit an emotional response rather than a rational one Roll Eyes It is the adults who are in charge of the family, it is up to them to decide on an individual-case basis whether or not they think a newspaper with Page 3 is an appropriate thing to have or not have in their home. They can buy it, they can not buy it, they can even buy it then rip out and bin page 3 after they've read page 4 Smile It's their decision, it's not for some unconnected third party to make it for them.

Dice wrote:
Anyway, personally, Page 3 has nothing to do with why I would never buy The Sun.

It's not something I'd be into buying either... much like I'd not subscribe to Sky TV. Not that News International would notice the difference in their income, but I would Smile

Mind you I can't say I'm too keen on supporting the Express Group either... I guess the one positive aspect to the sad rarity of Lucy's appearances in the Star these days is I don't have to conflict myself over that purchase Smile
tford

Contributions: 364

Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazinePosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:23 pm    Subject: Lucy defends Page 3 in Look magazine Reply with quote

I can see why Lucy almost studied English she is very articulate and a good at making her points quickly. Wish we had more people like that in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lucy Pinder Television Website Forum Index -> Lucy Pinder All times are GMT

Jump to: